Thursday, April 6, 2017

more rain ...

  
   Kalifornia, for the most part, is on a 7-year rain cycle ... at least, that's what I was told when I moved here in December of '82, and it pretty well has followed that pattern ever since ... for the 6 years between rains, the state (at least, where I lived) can be almost desert-like ...

   about the only thing I miss about Illinois, is the green lawns and forests in the late summers, when everything here is brown and dead ... (but not missed enough to move back, uh-uh !) ...

don't worry 'bout me, I'm plenty warm !


   it's obvious Sybil loves the cold winters there, the humid summers, maybe not so much ... I often wonder how she's dealing with all that flat land, if she's still hunting for a mountain to run up !

   this winter is one of our 'every 7 years' wet, rainy ones ... as the national news showed, the Oroville Dam spillway a few miles away, was a major mess, and luckily didn't get even worse ...

   it's raining again today with several more rainy days forecast for our near future ... plus, the 'Big Melt' of our accumulated mountain snowpack hasn't really begun yet, so there could possibly be more excitement coming our way ...

route 70, near Tobin, Jan. 2017


   my beloved Feather River Canyon road still has round-the-clock work crews cutting back at the mountainsides, necessary to ease future slides ... this 'cutting back' has been ongoing since I moved here in the mid-'80s, but we still have the occasional slide ...

outside Twain, my chosen 'sentimental home'


   nonetheless, the 50-miles or so drive up thru this canyon, is one of the prettiest you can find, and is definitely a 'must-do' for motorcycle riders ... convertibles were built with roads like this in mind, I suspect ...

   Easter is coming up soon, my favorite holiday, and we're looking forward to it ... 

   

No comments: