Friday, August 22, 2014

travel plans accelerating ...


   it's looking as though Sybil & I will hit the road again soon, quite a bit earlier than our other Autumn road trips ... as long as I can get my old generator running this week, maybe I can put off the new generator purchase another month, or two ... it only needs a new starter rope & fresh gas, but I haven't been in any hurry to do that ...

   our 'old' generator only weighs about 80#, but the carrying handles are positioned to guarantee low-back pain, every time I hoist it in & out of the van ... plus, it's a bit loud, and kinda gas-thirsty ... so, I haven't been all that anxious to start using it again ... but, if I can put the new one off a bit longer, I can go ahead and get a pair of new trailer tires first, as they are more of a priority ...

   I would like to also postpone the new tires until I reach Lake Havasu City, AZ, where I bought the van's Michelins ... but, we'll see how they do after we head out ... if we do have trouble enroute, I can always have the new tires shipped for free to most local tire stores ...
  'Discount Tires/America's Tire' is a pretty good source for tires, they won't be undersold, and are all over the country ... well,maybe not in some of the crazy places we wind up !

   I couldn't be happier with the 'Maxxis 8008' tires I put on it 6 years ago ... they now have over 20,000 miles on them, and are in perfect condition, to my eyeballs, anyway ... that's very good service, especially if you've ever seen some of the rough, sharp ground we cover with it ... the stock Goodyears would have blown apart years ago - Goodyear Marathons  (Explode-A-Thons) ...

 BUT, then I read this very informative tire info:

  http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/infoTrailerTireFacts.do

   I have always heard it said that trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years, regardless of what they look like, or mileage ... I dunno ...

   I'm the sort of guy that doesn't always believe the sales hype, until it's backed up with some facts ... but, after reading that tire info, I am going to replace them, since my present tires are way past due, in both mileage and age ...

   Sybil doesn't seem to care, one way, or the other ... she's pre-occupied with politics these days ... I don't know where she gets it ...



              **********************************

   tonight, our Chicago Bears will play the reigning Champions, Seattle Seahawks, in our 3rd preseason game ...

   the 3rd preseason games are significant, as it is the only preseason game that the teams will play their starters for the first half, or more ... 
   Seattle is coming into the game with almost their same roster as last year, and are touted as THE team to beat this year ... they really are scary-good ...

   I predict 'Da Bears' will lose tonight's game by 10 points, or so ... again, preseason games mean nothing more than getting a look at the newer players, etc. ...

   of course, while all these guys are pro athletes that hate to lose at anything, they are also coached to hold back a bit, to avoid injuries ... also, any new plays won't be used, as to avoid giving the opposition any advance preparation ...

   hmmm, this long-winded post has given us time to re-think tonight's  results,

  
                 Sybil's Prediction:    'da Bears' 87,  Seattle  2
    
   
sounds about right ...






1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad to see you are back. Enjoy the Bears.